INNER BANNER - STAKEHOLDER BENEFIT.jpgINNER BANNER - LEISURE 1.jpgINNER BANNER - COMMERCIAL 1.jpg

History of Shoreham Port - Celebrating 250 years from 1760 - 2010

In Roman Times 

Portus Adurni is situated on the lower reaches of the River Adur, and a highway is built between the Port and London passing through Portus Ladus (“the way to the Port”) now known as Portslade.

 Circa 500 A.D

Saxons land at the mouth of the River Adur and name the local town.

 1086

Domesday Book includes reference to the township of “Soresham”.

 In Norman Times       

Trade expands rapidly for Port as major importer of wine and exporter of wool.

 1199

King John lands at Shoreham with a large army and trade expands further, by the beginning of the 13 th Century Shoreham has become a Royal Arsenal and an important station for the landing and embarking of troops.

1346  

Shipbuilding has become a major activity in the Port and Shoreham supplies 26 ships to Edward III for his fight with the French.

1651

King Charles II makes his escape from England to Fecamp in the coal brig “Surprise”.

1760

The Commissioners of Shoreham Harbour meet for the first time in an endeavour to make a new cut to the sea to beat the problem of shingle accumulation.

1816

A second cut is made in the shingle embankment at the site of the present entrance.

1826

The first Middle Pier is built at the north bank of the Port to regulate the tide.

1850

A lock is built on the site of the present dry dock.

1855

The locked canal is opened to shipping for the first time.

1870

Gas Works constructed on the south bank of the canal.

1897

Brighton Corporation construct an electricity generating station. Coal imports increase substantially.

1917

Shoreham is chosen by the Admiralty for the construction of the so-called “Mystery Towers”.

1933

The Prince George Lock is opened and the depth of the canal is deepened.

1944

Shoreham is a departure point for troops participating in the D-Day landings in Normandy.

1953

Shoreham selected as location for a further coal fired power station.

1957

Major developments including a new entrance and the construction of East and West breakwaters are completed.

1958

Prince Philip Lock is opened by His Royal Highness.

1960s and 70s

Trade flourishes with a wide range of imports and exports.

1987

Brighton B power station closes precipitating a major downturn in the Port’s fortunes.

1997

Final chimney of old power station demolished and acquisition of Sussex Port Forwarding completed.

2000

New Power Station constructed                            

2004

Shoreham Port rebrands                                             

2008

Duke of York formally opens Nautilus House

2010

Shoreham Port Celebrates its 250th Anniversary at the heart of the community